[Originally posted June 5, 2012]
Ubuntu Server supposedly lacks a GUI, but it still uses FrameBuffer by default. I was seeing the following error on a picky Dell monitor when booting to a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
Out of range signal.
Cannot display this video mode,
change computer display input to 1600x1200 @60Hz
- Boot off the installation CD and use rescue mode.
- Open the file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf
- Append the line: blacklist vga16fb
- Save the file and exit, then run: update-initramfs -u
Text Mode GRUB
I didn't like my video signal going out of range during the GRUB stage, so...
- Open the file: /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- Uncomment the line: GRUB_TERMINAL=console
- Save the file and exit, then run: update-grub