Monday, April 1, 2013

Monthly Picks

I've been posting "Monthly Picks" on the first of each month since November 2011. For quite a while, the description at top read:
On the first day of each month, I will be posting about new papers I've found interesting in Philosophy or Library & Information Science. I'll try to make sure at least one is accessible to everyone.
In the last couple of months, I broke format and started including things that aren't journal articles. Now I'm completing the evolution: this space will be used primarily for web links, not journal articles. My blog as a whole has become more stereotypically blog style anyway. Heck, I used to do the whole superscript-number-referring-to-footnotes thing!

I hope readers enjoy the shift.

How to Teach Without Your Students Secretly Hating You. Things we all wish instructors were conscious about, but often are not. (LiveJournal still exists?!)

The Curious Case of Detached Value. My favorite post on Peter's blog, since it happens to sum up my views on moral tradition. Where is the Psych 101 students version of this experiment?

Regrets for my Old Dressing Gown, or A Warning to Those Who Have More Taste Than Fortune. A clever morality tale by the rogue encyclopedist of the French Enlightenment.

An Essential Skill for All Librarians. It's not HTML. If you're intrigued and want to get started, I recommend this list of underhanded techniques.

And an open access article that discusses what stands out to library hiring committees and what might make them roll their eyes:
Hodge, M., & Spoor, N. (2012). Congratulations! You've landed an interview: What do hiring committees really want?. New Library World, 113(3/4), 139-161.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring one of my links! I personally like this change. Hopefully it's an actual change and not an April Fools joke!

    ReplyDelete