Sunday, February 9, 2014

Reader Response: Code Name Verity Pt. 2

A free-form reader response to Code Name Verity for my Teen Materials class. This is the Historical Fiction title I picked from a list, as opposed to the one everyone in the class had to read.

** Spoilers everywhere! ** 

Pages 91ish to 332

My "response" to this book went from what I wrote last time:
"Needling the guard who has to translate the account into German for her superior officer is mildly amusing, but I could use a change in tone soon. A lot of this early stuff is sketching WW2 history as it relates to the air force, which is mildly interesting."
to reading it on my exercise bike because I was more desperate to know what would happen next than I was to watch a film I've been wanting to see for a while. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I can't say much without ruining how amazing it is to experience this book without spoilers.

But to address a few of my own concerns from the opening pages of this book: none of my guesses were accurate, and my trouble accepting the way the narrator writes about handling the torture went away with a satisfying in-story explanation for what was going on.

I still think the first half of the book could have used something more than it did to keep readers hooked. I shouldn't have to advise people to stick with it, but: stick with it!

If you're wavering, check out Maggie Stiefvator's non-spoiler review.

No comments:

Post a Comment